Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Yoga Practice







From East to West, and North to South, I have been pleased to share my yoga practices and have been taught by so many wonderful teachers that continue to encourage me to look with. I draw inspiration from this chakra.

In all these years of practicing, I never thought I could recount my experiences of when I embarked on this journey. I have done yoga in a crowded Airport – Atlanta, California, Detroit, Spain, Dubai and many others before I board my plane to a trip. In respect to the strange look, I felt at ease and peace with myself. I can listen better and more patient with others. I have pulled over on a long trip to meditate in respective of time.

As a yoga practitioner, my goal is to share my practice and bring all my knowledge of yoga to newbie, and all level of yoga practitioners in respective of their goal and also continue to learn from inspiring teachers. When I started yoga 12 years ago, in addition to my regimen; running, biking, hiking, practicing tae kwon do, and soccer. I was not in competition with anyone but with my own self. Being in a competition mindset; I wanted to do each asana very well. I did not understand the prana and chakra. At times, I did not join to chant since I was not aware of the meaning of OM.


I will attempt every asana you can imagine as seen in Ivengar. Sometimes, I failed in my tree just moments as I was holding the tree posture. It is almost like I lost in a running competition with myself. I know there was more to yoga than just holding my headstand for 5 minutes. I began to read vast books and attend seminar dealing with yoga, philosophy and teaching. Unfortunately, most yoga studio in America is vastly focused on the asana; the physical posture. I felt there was more to yoga than the physical aspect. Yoga is well rounded. Yoga comprises of meditation, chanting, kriya, fasting, breathing, prana (energy), food, cleanliness, contentment, compassion, and much more.

A majority of yoga practitioners just like me have come to understand that yoga is a way of life not just a hobby or a cult. Some people come to their first yoga class for various reasons, in competition with one another. I encourage you to hold your postures longer and look within your mind, connecting the body with the mind and spirit with come along with the journey. I welcome to share your experience with me.
I am inspired to post this blog for my friend – Margret Nedelkoff and her devotion to her yoga practice. I wish her the very best in this journey. She has an amazing practice and she will share her yoga experiences.

In Summary, I am sharing these words with you. “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” - Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

No comments:

Post a Comment